Youth have a special ministry in the diocese, with opportunities for worship, conferences and retreats, camp, mission activities, and lots of fun. Diocesan youth have a Facebook page and invite you to join them there.
Diocesan youth events provide young people in the Diocese of Indianapolis with an opportunity for faith formation while building community with youth from Episcopal churches in central and southern Indiana. These events, planned by the Youth Steering Committee, help young people explore a larger expression of the church through worship, prayer, games, and a variety of other activities.
Two of the largest diocesan youth events are the Fall Conference and Spring Retreat.
Join us at the 2017 Youth Fall Conference!
Registration for the 2017 Diocesan Youth Fall Conference is now open! The Fall Conference will be November 17-19 at Waycross. This event is designed for youth in grades 6-12.
The Fall Conference is planned by the Youth Steering Committee and is open to all youth in the Diocese, as well as their adult chaperones.
What’s the theme?
The theme for this year’s Conference is Faith in a Global Family. Participants will hear from different leaders from interfaith communities about their theology, practices, and traditions. We will explore how other faith communities are in dialogue with our Episcopal tradition, and how we can engage in interfaith dialogue with others.
What can we expect?
Like any other diocesan youth event, the weekend will include lots of activities, including:
- Small and large group gatherings
- Games, games, games!
- Workshops on a variety of topics
- Recreational activities
- Arts and Crafts projects
- Service projects
- Access to some Waycross Camp activities
- Talent Show
- Hanging out with old and new friends
- And much more!
Where do we register?
Registration for this event will be open until November 8, 2017. Registration is available online at this link.
What’s the cost?
Youth: $80 (Scholarships are available! Contact us here for more information.)
Registration cost includes lodging, meals, programming, supplies, and a t-shirt!
Have a question about Fall Conference? Contact Victoria Hoppes, Coordinator of Ministries With and For Youth, at (812) 597-4241 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Games, Games, Games!
- Games & Icebreakers from The Source for Youth Ministry
- Youth Group Games from www.campgames.org
- Top Ten Collection of Youth Group Games from youthgroupgames.com.au
Tips for Choosing & Leading Games:
Choosing the right game for your group is very important! Here are some things to keep in mind while choosing and leading games with youth:
- The size of the group: Is this a small group or large one? Do you have enough people to play the game? Do you need to create teams?
- The level of energy you wish to exert: Do you want to wear participants out, or do you want to keep their energy level low?
- Age: Are you playing this game with one age group, or multiple? Are all of your participants old enough to play the games? Are they developmentally appropriate for the age group?
- Physical limitations: Are there any physical limitations you should be aware of? Can everyone run or jump? Do you need to make accommodations for youth with different abilities?
- Location: Where are you playing the game? Is it indoors or outdoors? Knowing the location and environment is critical to choosing an appropriate game (for example, you don’t want to play a game that requires running around in a room that has a lot of furniture!)
- Safety issues: What obstacles are in the way of the group? Do you need special equipment? Is there any form of physical contact? Assuring the safety of all is extremely important!
What are some of your favorite youth group games? Tell us in the comments section below!
All youth in grades 6-12 are invited to be a part of the youth presence at Diocesan Convention, October 26-28, 2017. This year’s Convention will take place in Jeffersonville and New Albany.
Youth participation in Convention includes: exploring the exhibit hall, sitting in on business sessions, volunteering to help diocesan staff with event operations, and hanging out during a Friday night lock-in!
Youth will be housed at St. Mary’s Center (415 E. 8th St. New Albany, 47150) Convention programming will mostly take place at Kye’s (500 Missouri Ave. Jeffersonville IN 47130) You may opt to attend both Thursday and Friday night, or Friday night only.
To RSVP, fill out this form and let us know when you are coming.
$30 for both Thursday and Friday nights
$15 for Friday night lock-in only
Scholarship assistance is available!
Questions? Contact Victoria Hoppes at email@example.com.