Grounded in God’s love in Christ, the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis is called to reach out with a radical welcome and bold witness to serve and transform our world. Our priorities are to support clergy and laity as beacons of Jesus Christ for southern and central Indiana and the world, encourage a missional mindset for all our faith communities, stand with the vulnerable and marginalized working to transform systems of injustice, and connect more effectively with each other and our neighborhood partners.
Canon to the Ordinary for Congregational Development and Leadership
The Canon to the Ordinary for Congregational Development and Leadership oversees mission strategy for the Diocese of Indianapolis including the development and implementation of resources and programs to equip clergy and lay leaders for transformative ministry across central and southern Indiana. The position reports directly to the bishop and is a member of the bishop’s executive leadership team.
Working in partnership with lay and clergy leaders this Canon will:
- Oversee the Pathways to Vitality congregational development and financial literacy program.
- Develop and oversee the College for Congregational Development and Innovative Ministry Learning cohorts including the coaches, mentors, and clergy navigators associated with these programs.
- Launch curacy program to support priestly formation in congregations engaged in missional faith community expressions.
- Oversee mission strategy providing contextually relevant support for congregational vitality and re-imagination and seek opportunities for intercultural ministry.
- Encourage and facilitate gatherings of affinity and collaborative groups (clergy and lay).
- Work with the associate for transition ministry (new position) to oversee congregational clergy searches and discernment process for holy orders including priestly and diaconal formation.
- Direct and oversee clergy conference, clergy days, and other learning opportunities for clergy and lay leaders including diocesan convention workshops.
- Serve as staff liaison to campus ministry council.
The Canon for Congregational Development and Leadership will be the primary liaison with the diocesan communications team. This position collaborates closely with the canon for administration and evangelism to ensure integration of mission and budget resources as well as evangelism initiatives. The position provides direction and supervision to the associate for transition ministry, Pathways to Vitality program director, the diocesan coordinator of ministries with and for youth, and the missioner for community engagement.
- Ordained priest in the Episcopal Church with a minimum of 5 years leadership experience in the Episcopal Church
- Demonstrated ability to work with clergy, lay leaders, and congregations in diverse cultural, socio-economic, and community contexts
- Proven ability to work collegially and to oversee multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Knowledge of Spanish is helpful.
Applications and timeline:
We anticipate that this position will begin in the late summer of 2018.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience
- Resumes will be received through June 20, 2018.
Interested candidates should send resume, OTM profile and letter of interest to: Canon Search, c/o Ms. Janet Brinkworth, Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, 1100 W. 42nd Street, Suite 235, Indianapolis, IN 46208 or firstname.lastname@example.org
It is Diocesan policy that equal employment opportunities be available to all without regard to race, sex, age within statutory limits, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, or disability. This policy applies to all employees and applicants for employment and to all phases of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruiting, advertising, treatment during employment, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, and termination of employment.