The Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, formerly known as the Episcopal Diocese of Indiana, is a diocese in Province V (for the Midwest region) of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America. It encompasses the southern two-thirds of the state of Indiana. Its see is in Indianapolis, Indiana, at Christ Church Cathedral. The diocese has over 9,400 communicants in 47 parishes. Catherine Maples Waynick, who became bishop of the diocese in 1997, is one of the few female Anglican bishops in the world.
Like many of the Episcopal diocese in the Midwest, the history of the Diocese of Indianapolis begins with the consecration of Jackson Kemper as Missionary Bishop of the Northwest in 1835. At the time, Indiana was a wilderness and the first Anglican meetings were often held in remote Methodist and Presbyterian churches, as well as courthouses, stores, schoolhouses and private homes. Kemper founded several Indiana churches; the oldest one still standing is Saint John’s Church in Crawfordsville, Indiana.
The Episcopal Diocese of Indiana was formed in 1849 with the consecration of George Upfold as bishop of Indiana. The first cathedral was Saint John’s Church inLafayette, Indiana, because it was the only parish with a parsonage at the time. Within a few years, Upfold moved the episcopal residence to Indianapolis, where Saint Paul’s Church, Grace Church, and All Saints’ Church served as the cathedral before it was moved to Christ Church in 1954. Christ Church was consecrated as the pro-cathedral for the diocese on October 10, 1954.
In 1898 the Episcopal Diocese of Indiana was divided to create the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, covering the southern two-thirds of the state, and the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana, covering the northern one-third.
Bishops of the Diocese
The bishops of the diocese in order are:
- Jackson Kemper, I Indiana, (1838–1849)
- George Upfold, II Indiana, (1849–1872)
- Joseph Cruickshank Talbot, III Indiana, (1872–1883)
- David Buel Knickerbacker, IV Indiana, (1883–1894)
- John Hazen White, V Indiana, (1895–1899) Knickerbacker worked with the Episcopal General Convention to split the Diocese in two to better serve the growing congregation. The 1898 Episcopal General Convention agreed and split the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis from the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana. White went on to head the new diocese from 1899-1925, while Joseph Marshall Francis ascended to become the sixth Bishop of Indiana.
- Joseph Marshall Francis, VI Indianapolis, (1899–1939) The diocese was renamed from Indiana to Indianapolis on September 1, 1902.
- Richard A. Kirchhoffer VII Indianapolis, (1939–1959)
- John Pares Craine, VIII Indianapolis, (1959–1977)
- Edward Witker Jones, IX Indianapolis, (1978–1997)
- Catherine Maples Waynick, X Indianapolis, (1997-incumbent)
- Vision Statement
- Diocesan Office
- Our Bishop
- Our Deacons
- Commission On Ministry
- Executive Council
- Budget & Finance
- Our Diocesan Partners
- Standing Committee
- The Deaneries of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis
- Constitution and Canons
- History & Archives
- Advocacy for Justice and Peace