Studies conducted by Lilly Endowment Inc. and others show there is a direct relationship between the personal financial health of a priest and the overall vitality of his or her congregation. If a priest struggles with debilitating financial stress, ministerial excellence, leadership and decisions are compromised in the congregation. Everyone suffers.
Pathways to Vitality, a financial literacy initiative of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, is a three-year program funded by Lilly Endowment designed for clergy and lay leaders to facilitate well-informed and honest conversations about money.
The initiative has three goals:
- To create a culture of transparency regarding clergy and parish finances in our congregations through financial literacy education.
- To enhance ministerial innovation, vitality and sustainability in our congregations.
- To implement a Ministerial Excellence Fund to provide financial support to clergy, seminarians and their families to enhance their financial wellbeing.
Ultimately, we hope to raise the “veil of silence” cloaking clergy and parish finances so we can authentically share in the generosity of God.
Posts on Indydio.org
- God's Covenant for Healthy Living Together (September 2016)
- A Primer on Your Credit Report vs. Your Credit Score (October 2016)
- 4 Tips to Maximize Your Tax Savings (December 2016)
- Clergy Compensation – Transparency and Stewardship (January 2017)
- Compound Interest – the 8th Wonder of the World (February 2017)
- Taxability and Gifts (April 2017)