- About Us
- Our Bishop
- The Episcopal Church
- The Diocese
- Wednesday Mailbag
- Diocesan Convention
- Diocesan Convention 175
- Diocesan Convention 176
- Call to Convention for the 176th Diocesan Convention
- Convention Schedule - Final
- Proposed Changes to the Constitution or Canons
- Election Results
- Budget - Pre-Convention Budget Documents Now Available
- Reports to the 176th Diocesan Convention
- Learning Opportunities at the 176th Diocesan Convention
- Diocese of Indianapolis Holds 176th Convention October 24-26
- Diocesan Celebrations
- Commission on Ministry
- Constitution and Canons
- Executive Council
- History & Archives
- Mission Strategy Commission
- Standing Committee
- Mission & Ministries
- Campus Ministries
- Transition Ministries
- Christian Formation
- Lifelong Christian Formation
- ChurchNext - Online Christian Formation
- Speak, Lord, for Your Servants Are Listening
- Youth Ministries
- Education, Health & Relief
- Episcopal Women's Ministries
- What is Evangelism?
- Chasing the Social Networkers
- Who Locked the Gates?
- What About the “De-Churched?”
- What if Starbucks Used Church Marketing?
- Evangelism and Hospitality Consultation
- Reaching Out to Your Community
- Evangelism Role Playing
- A Hospitality Quiz
- 15 Free or Under $100 Things You Can Do Right Now to Help Market Your Parish and Grow
- Talking About Your Faith---Some Exercises
- Global Missions Commission
- Lay Ministries
- Young Adult Ministries
- Deacons' Web Site
- Find a Resource
- Post and Share
- Partner Dioceses
- Other Partners
- Cooperating Ministries
- News from Our Partners
Annual Confirmation Celebrations are held in each Deanery and an all diocese one in Indianapolis.
2013 Confirmation Dates Set
Bishop Waynick's office has announced the following 2013 deanery Confirmation dates.
|Deanery||Date & Time (local)||Hosting Parish|
|North West||Sunday, 4/7/13 5:00 pm||St. John’s Crawfordsville|
|South West||CANCELED||St. John’s, Washington|
|Mid Central||Saturday, 5/11/13 11:00 am||All Saints, Indianapolis|
|North Central||Saturday, 4/20/13 10:00 am||St. Francis-in-the-Fields, Zionsville|
|South Central/All Diocesan||Thursday, 5/9/13 7:00 pm||Christ Church Cathedral, Indianapolis|
|South East||Saturday, 4/20/13 4:00 pm||St. John’s, Bedford|
|North East||Saturday, 5/4/13 11:00 am||St. Paul’s, Richmond|
What Clergy Do To Prepare For Confirmation Celebrations
What Clergy Do To Prepare For Confirmation Celebrations
Suggestions for Presenting clergy:
- Include those preparing for Confirmation, Reception, Reaffirmation by name in the prayers of the people each week. Issue the invitation to all members of the parish to take part in the shared celebration. Consider using both voice and print announcements….
- Send your lists of those to be Confirmed, Received, or Reaffirmed to the Rector or Vicar of the hosting congregation at least a week before the celebration. If you want my office to print certificates with your candidate’s names on them you must also send the complete list to Sally Cassidy at least two weeks before the celebration. NOTE: if you are bringing candidates to a celebration other than your deanery event you must contact the host parish directly about that, and provide them with the list mentioned above.
- Alert your candidates to the need to arrive at least 60 minutes before the start of the liturgy to meet with the Bishop. They will be asked to engage in conversation about their preparation and what they have been learning.
- Provide detailed directions to the hosting parish along with information about parking.
- Specifically invite last yeas’ Confirmands (and those Received and Reaffirmed) to participate both in the Confirmation event and in a parish celebration the following Sunday. They might take joy in helping to prepare a festive reception for coffee hour.
Plan to present certificates at a time when the parish can witness that. If possible, present them with a small gift from the parish.
- Bring your Confirmation Record book to the celebration to be signed.
- Be sure to publish the dates and times of the Confirmation celebrations and to let members know they are not only invited, but essential to the celebration! They provide important support, encouragement, and witness for the commitments being made. Besides, people who attend these celebrations really do seem to like them.
For Hosting congregation:
- Provide to the clergy of your deanery detailed directions to your church along with information about parking. They will need this information at least two weeks in advance.
- Candidates will be arriving 60 minutes before the liturgy. Please provide a place for them to gather with their sponsors to prepare for the liturgy. The bishop will meet with them during that time.
- Provide nametags for candidates to use. “C” for confirmation, “R” for reception and “RF” for reaffirmation. They only need their first names – no nicknames please. Have these ready as soon as they arrive.
- Provide a chart for seating for the candidates and sponsors. During the gathering time we will go over the method of presentation. I prefer that candidates be presented parish by parish, each person being named with their full names.
- If the candidates will be in the procession, provide copies of the gathering hymn for them to use.
- One or more of the newly Confirmed or Received should bring the oblations forward at the offertory. Please consider inviting sponsors to read lessons and lead the prayers of the people….and consider having sponsors from other parishes participate as well.
- Provide for a reception following the liturgy. It need not be a meal – just enough to be celebratory and prevent people from leaving hungry. Please consider having last year’s confirmands help with this – along with last year’s confirmands from other parishes.
- If you wish to have a deacon assigned to assist in this liturgy, please contact The Rev. Karen Sullivan. And please remember – “deacon” does not equal “bishop’s chaplin!”
- I would appreciate having a place to sit during the reception for the signing record books and other things.
Thanks so much for all your work on these celebrations…..