Members of diocesan Executive Council arrived at Waycross June 17 with excitement, anticipation, and bags of canned goods for a local food pantry as they held their first meeting with Bishop Jennifer Baskerville-Burrows. Bishop Jennifer asked members of the council to help shape the agenda for the meeting, offering a statement called “The Work Set Forth” as a framework for balancing time, money, direction, and ways the council can be supportive in their work diocesan-wide.
She followed that initiative by leading an enthusiastic discussion around the three points on a triangle grounded in Benedictine spirituality. Those included
- Stability, a life of prayer, worship, and relationship with God and others;
- Obedience, listening to God and one another, observing what’s out there in the world and what God may be saying to us; and
- Conversion, ongoing transformation around how God is informing us, possibly leading us to new and life-giving spaces.
This time of visioning generated a long list of ideas and direction to consider as the council moves forward, looking at two questions in particular. “What is it that we think we need to be doing?” and “How do we organize to do that?” In addition to their organizational and visioning time, Executive Council:
In addition to their organizational and visioning time, Executive Council:
- Received information about the appointment of Brendan O’Sullivan-Hale as Canon for Administration and Evangelism, beginning October 1.
- Heard about progress on the series of ten diocesan-wide Listening Sessions going on through October and continuing with a presentation at 180th Diocesan Convention.
- Reviewed progress on the Pathways to Vitality congregational development program and associated ministerial excellence fund.
- Passed a resolution affirming our current Cooperating Ministries.
- Discussed a potential canonical change around the use of earlier audits for decisions around Cooperating Ministries. Such a change would mean Cooperating Ministries could be affirmed or reaffirmed prior to each calendar instead of mid-year.
- Shared information and ideas for the 180th Diocesan Convention and coming year conventions,
- Members learned of a positive 2015-2016 audit of the diocese and Waycross and reviewed the status of 2017 income, investments, and expenditures.
- The Budget and Finance Committee shared information about their progress in coordinating budget requests and developing a 2018 budget document. Information on the current budget is expected to be shared on the www.indydio.org website later in the week.
The next meeting of Executive Council is September 18 at Waycross. For a current list of Executive Council members, 2017-2019 MEMBERS OF EXECUTIVE COUNCIL UPDATED.