Ingathering time is coming soon for your Episcopal Fund for Human Need (EFHN), the only yearly diocesan fund drive for ministries of hope and help in our local communities. Most parishes choose to gather EFHN gifts on or around Pentecost Sunday, June 4.
Grants have been made annually to 25-35 agencies and at least 10 have been supported for over 40 years now. The missions are varied—from assisting ex-offenders with job training to helping victims of domestic violence with shelter and legal assistance, to providing the elderly with transportation or daycare, to helping families that need emergency food, medical care, or utilities assistance.
In 2017 our diocese expects to provide grants to 34 different agencies in Southern and Central Indiana for a total of $47,750. Please help us meet this goal. Resources are offered here to help you plan your EFHN giving emphasis. Use your EFHN giving bucket (each parish has one) and/or a supply of EFHN offering envelopes as you conduct your giving campaign. Contact Canon Marsha Gebuhr email@example.com if our diocesan office can support you in any way.
Lord Jesus, you said, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” We began the Episcopal Fund for Human Need to help those who fall through the cracks with our support of human needs agencies throughout the Diocese of Indianapolis. Help us to be generous to serve as a lifeline to those who are hungry, homeless or poorly housed, without transportation, or ill and in need of assistance in Central and Southern Indiana that we might serve as a safety net and shine brightly that others may know you as the light of Christ in their lives as you are in ours, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
This Year’s Resources
Downloadable News Blips are available now for use in this year’s EFHN campaign.
EFHN News Blips
The EFHN provides a critical lifeline for ministries and organizations throughout the diocese meeting basic emergency human needs. Your donations help our diocese provide gifts for almost three-dozen critical human needs agencies throughout the lower two-thirds of Indiana.
Text a Gift Available in April and May!
To securely make a gift to EFHN—
- Text “GIVE” to (317) 316-3664
- You will receive a text with a link, click on the link. This will open a secure app online.
- Register with your personal information and a credit/debit card your first time.
- Change or confirm your gift amount. The default is $25.00 but can be completed with any amount of donation.
- Once you confirm the gift, you will receive a text and email confirmation.
Don’t forget to save the number in your phone. You may participate multiple times between April 1 and May 31. The next time you make a gift, you only have to text GIVE from the same phone number. You can always text EDIT to update your information and check the status of a gift.
The diocesan Episcopal Fund for Human Need (EFHN) has awarded over 30 agencies 2016 grants totaling nearly $42,000. The grants will support the work of providing basic human services including food distribution, caring for children and the elderly, and offering emergency assistance for needs such as utilities and transportation. Agencies receiving gifts include:
- Monroe County United Ministries, Bloomington, $1750
- Hope Southern Indiana, New Albany, $1650
- Stopover Inc., Indianapolis, $1800
- Lafayette Urban Ministry, $1750
- Youth Service Bureau, Crawfordsville, $1650
- Center for Lay Ministries, Jeffersonville, $1250
- Open Arms Ministries, Richmond, $1100
- Alpha Center, Muncie, $1300
- Pace/Oar, Indianapolis, $1750
- Boone City Senior Services, Lebanon, $1500
- Community Kitchen, Jeffersonville, $1450
- Hendricks County Senior Services Inc., Danville, $1500
- Outreach Ministries, Evansville, $1500
- Coordinated Aging Services of Morgan County, Martinsville, $1250
- Columbus Regional Shelter/Victims of Domestic Violence, $1500
- Community Service Center of Morgan County, Martinsville $1450
- Patchwork Central, Inc., Evansville, $1600
- Westminster Community Service, New Castle, $1600
- St. Thomas Clinic, Whiteland, $1500
- Tri-County Health Coalition, New Albany, $1100
- Community Emergency Assistance Board, Mt. Vernon, $1500
- Second Helpings, Indianapolis, $1300
- St. Andrew’s Non-Food Pantry, Greencastle, $300
- Boys and Girls Club, Inc., Jeffersonville, $1300
- House of Hope Madison County, Anderson, $700
- Mother’s Cupboard Community Kitchen, Bean Blossom, $1,100
- Bertha’s Mission, Bedford, $1,000
- Brown County Weekend Backpack, Nashville, $500
- YWCA of Evansville, $1500
- Trinity Childcare, Indianapolis, $500
- Lebanon Community of Shalom, $500
- Irvington Advocacy Network $250
For more information on the Episcopal Fund for Human Need, contact Canon Marsha Gebuhr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pentecost Sunday, May 24, is our designated day….but you can do projects year round including volunteering at some of the agencies in your deanery or even a neighboring deanery.
If you want ideas or speakers be sure and contact any of the EFHN Board members or agency directors (those lists are included in the kits). Kits were distributed at the clergy conference and, for those locations not in attendance, the kits were sent in the mail.
Please participate fully in this only diocesan-wide, Indiana outreach ingathering, which addresses a myriad of problems through wonderful agencies in each of our deaneries! Materials and information are also available on indydio.org.
The main purpose of EFHN is to raise funds for diocesan outreach:
- to award much-needed funds to ecumenical outreach agencies (via EFHN Grants) and
- to supplement emergency assistance funds of diocesan churches, if funds are possible.
The goal is to increase funds brought in:
- so that the size of awards to requesting agencies may be larger and
- so that more agencies can be considered for EFHN grants, thereby a greater number of clients can be assisted; and
- so that funds will always be available for clergy emergency assistance.
Activities/actions taken September 2013 -September 2014 to accomplish these goals:
- August, September, early October 2013— Board members visit agencies requesting EFHN funds.
- October 2013—allocation of EFHN funds collected in the 2013 campaign (kickoff for the fund drive is Pentecost Sunday each year) to agencies throughout our diocese which submitted grant applications to supplement their 2014 budgets. Twenty-seven agencies, located throughout six deaneries, received assistance in the amount of $30,150.
- April 16, 2014—Board Meeting to review 2013 activities, to plan for the 2014 in-gathering/campaign and to have a discussion concerning the Cooperating Ministries.
- April 29, 2014—Marsha Gebuhr and Mary Ann Sodrel presented info about EFHN and distributed “Kampaign (fund raising) Kits” to clergy attending the Clergy Conference at Waycoss. Those unable to attend received “Kits” by mail.
- Pentecost (June 8, 2914)—Diocesan-wide in-gathering for EFHN.
- June 2014—mailing of EFHN grant application forms to requesting agencies.
- August/September 2014—board members schedule visits with the agencies that request money from EFHN. EFHN is the outreach of the Diocese of Indianapolis.
- September 30, 2014—allocation meeting to award funds for agency 2015 budgets. Thirty-two agencies submitted grant applications.
Membership of Committee/Commission/Board:
- Randy Bridges (St. David’s, Beanblossom)
- Janet King Doane (Christ Church Cathedral)
- Canon Marsha Gebuhr (Diocesan Staff)
- The Rev. Steve Fales (St. Christopher’s, Carmel)
- Archdeacon Ronald Goldfarb (St. Thomas, Franklin)
- Stephanie Mannon Grabow (St. Christopher’s, Carmel)
- Nancy Rayfield (Trinity, Bloomington)
- The Rev. Michelle Roos (St. Philip’s, Indianapolis)
- Don Sodrel (St. Paul’s, New Albany)
- Mary Ann Sodrel, Chair (St. Paul’s, New Albany)
WE TRULY NEED BOARD MEMBERS. PRAYERFULLY CONSIDER THIS OPPORTUNITY. A JOB DESCRIPTION CAN BE PROVIDED. CONTACT MARY ANN SODREL, 812/945-0825.
The Episcopal Fund for Human Need (EFHN) is a diocesan-wide ministry that provides an emergency safety net for those in central and southern Indiana who “fall through the cracks” of human needs agencies. Gifts through EFHN provide a lifeline to those who are hungry, homeless or poorly housed, without transportation, or ill and in need of assistance. An offering for the Episcopal Fund for Human Need is generally gathered in diocesan parishes on or near Pentecost Sunday.
Contact: Canon Marsha Gebuhr
Ingathering time is coming soon for your Episcopal Fund for Human Need (EFHN), the only yearly diocesan fund drive for ministries of hope and help in our local communities. Most parishes choose to gather EFHN gifts on or around Pentecost Sunday, June 4. Grants have been made annually to 25-35 ...Read More
Downloadable News Blips are available now for use in this year's EFHN campaign ...Read More
The EFHN provides a critical lifeline for ministries and organizations throughout the diocese meeting basic emergency human needs. Your donations help our diocese provide gifts for almost three-dozen critical human needs agencies throughout the lower two-thirds of Indiana. Text a Gift Available in April and May! To securely make a gift to ...Read More
The diocesan Episcopal Fund for Human Need (EFHN) has awarded over 30 agencies 2016 grants totaling nearly $42,000. The grants will support the work of providing basic human services including food distribution, caring for children and the elderly, and offering emergency assistance for needs such as utilities and transportation. Agencies ...Read More
Ingathering has passed, but there's still time, time to do projects year round like volunteering at some of the agencies in your deanery or even a neighboring deanery ...Read More
The report to the 2014 Diocesan Convention ...Read More